Monday, December 28, 2009

Planning My Retirement

Too all my loyal reader, I'm sorry I missed last week. I was in Mexico and while planning to post, didn't quite find the time to pull myself away from the sunshine. Learned some interesting things there and I'll have to gather my thoughts before posting about it. In the meantime, let's carry on...

Seeing as I asked the question about what you plan to do in your retirement, I figure I should try and answer the question myself.

My answer has always been travel. Well it has, since I've been married anyhow, as my wife loves to travel. Have to admit, that it didn't take me long to get on board though! :)

But what does it mean exactly to travel in your retirement? How often will we travel and for how long will we be gone? Where do you go? I have to admit after about two weeks anywhere, I can't wait to get back home. We do live in the most beautiful place in the world after all! Also, my family and friends are here and if I can't take them with me, I'd at least want to run home to see them again.

I think the answer for me, is to go whenever and wherever I want. Probably every few months or so.

I also have plenty to do in between trips. Big assumption here, but I'm sure I'll have my hands full with children and grand children for one. When I'm not traveling or spending time with the family I'm sure you'll find me fishing a lake or more likely playing in a poker tournament somewhere.

On top of all that, I don't actually think I'll ever stop working entirely. I'm planning on having some businesses to over-see as well as a few rental/investment properties. I'm also thinking of working as a financial planner at this point for a few select customers. If they'll have me. ;)

I want to work without having to work. I want it to be my choice. So obviously to make that work I'll need to make sure my investments are capable of taking care of themselves while I'm out playing.

I'll eventually be talking about how I plan to get there, but I think it's helped me at least to get it written down. Let me know what you think.

One last thing....before anyone suggests golf, I'd rather get all my teeth extracted!

No comments:

Post a Comment